Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The story is in the soil, keep your ear to the ground

Time really needs to move faster.

So, I have this theory that Christianity in America is like the magical community in Harry Potter.

Rationale: Both consist of a group of people who feel they have some sort of huge knowledge about the world that the other half does not. Both have terms for the people and activities not in their group ("muggle" and "secular," respectively). Both have people who attempt to live in both worlds simultaneously. Both see the news and events that concern the muggle/secular world a little differently due to their magic-ness/Christain-ness, and both have news, music, products, and merchandise that pertains only to them. Both are based on excruciatingly thick books and are the basis of several movies.

Except for the whole "Christians think Harry Potter will result in the demoralization, degeneration, and general implosion of our children" thing, I think it works.

The other day I was looking through an old desk drawer for manila envelopes with which to send my college transcripts, and I found a project I had to do back in 4th grade. It's a little book about me and my family, and each page has some connection to something we learned that unit, like similies ("My family is a colorful rainbow!"), adjectives ("snacking"?), haikus, and the like. I'll now present you with the acrostic poem I made of my name:

Lovable
I
ce Cream
N
o Bad Grades
D
oes Love Dogs
A
rtistig

Much Laughter
A
Smart Family
R
eady for Anything
T
una Lovers
I
dea Machines
N
everending

Ice cream? Or more importantly, tuna? Besides the fact that I didn't know how to spell "artistic," my favorite parts have to be my inability to come up with a "D" word and the vague reference to immortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment