Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Never take friendship personally

One step forward, two steps back.

It sometimes takes a lot of effort for me to acknowledge (let alone accept) the fact that other people have systems and levels of emotion that are at least as complex as my own. It's not a pretentiousness thing; it's more like a personal mental deficiency. For example, in my world (and, I assume, in most others'), my relationships aren't ranked in any way, shape, or form. Each one is obviously different, with its own strengths and weaknesses and hilariously nonsensical inside jokes, and it's easy to say that I care incomparably greatly for several people in simply different fashions. It's also equally easy, for some reason, to fail to recognize that other people probably operate the same way, and to erroneously assume that the strength of my friends' other relationships affects their concern for me.

And I'm pretty sure this kind of oversight (or rather undersight) is practically epidemic, 'cause if it weren't, jealousy wouldn't be such a huge instigator for break-ups.

I think Adam Sandler had it all wrong in that Click movie. If I had a remote that could put time in my control, I'd use the rewind button way more than anything else. My desire to relive certain moments far outweighs my somewhat reluctant curiosity to see an inevitable future.

Is removing a band-aid less painful when it's slowly and arduously pulled back or ripped off in one intense motion? I get the feeling it'll always be a situational and preferential thing.

Top 5 Simple Pleasures I Will Enjoy Over Break:
- Driving Theo (or more importantly, singing in the car)
- Being with my seeester
- Using my cell again
- Ranting angrily about Hummers and Escalades
- Baths

No comments:

Post a Comment