The Golden Rule has always seemed a little stupid to me. Not because I don't believe in it, or for some admittedly valid but essentially inane argument about personal subjectivity of proper treatment, but because it seems like such a simple, basic, and natural concept that I never saw why it needed to be explicitly stated.
Usually if there is argument about the "do unto others" philosophy, it's over concern about the potential diabolical natures of people who could follow it. There's always smartassy comments about masochists and whether or not it would entitle them to hurt people, or the distinction between people who avoid conflict/drama and Cecily von Ziegesar. As if you can really argue particulars in a phrase so rooted in archaic history that it uses the word "unto."
I don't particularly think anything as drastic or improbable as justifying masochism is that much of an issue. Subjectivity considered, the point is that it's infinitely more frustrating to deal with people who don't view you as an equal than with people who always insist on fair footing. The Golden Rule is more about respect than a philosophical consistency of values.
I wonder if there's ever going to be a time when the grand majority of interpersonal problems seem like actual adult issues and not just a staged attempt at playing adulthood.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Always one foot on the ground
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment