Not that I could see it working any other way, but for some reason it's always seemed wrong to me that entering a relationship takes the combined, and sometimes laborious, effort of both parties, yet ending a relationship requires only the whim decision of one. A part of me feels like any end to a relationship should be more like a divorce, with both parties consenting before the separation is official, to appease my sense of balance. Of course, there are a million moral and logical issues that would crop up with the execution of that plan, which is why it's a good thing that I, with my priorities occasionally staked more heavily on theoretical aesthetic symmetry than practicality, do not run the world.
Yesterday JennyKoys and I were wandering around Barnes and Noble and having an undoubtedly immensely deep and philosophical discussion about Facebook. More specifically, we were talking about picture tagging, and the way both the practice and how it has developed reflects pretty standard stereotypes about teenage narcissism. At this point, people are always glad to see someone with a camera around, with the ego-tickling knowledge that any photos of them will be on the Interweb within 48 hours.
When it comes to vanity, though, taking an interest in your own appearance really isn't unreasonable. After all, out of everyone you know, you're probably the one who sees your own face the least, and when you do happen to catch a glimpse of yourself, it's at a pretty standard and unalterable angle. Most other people, on the other hand, aren't usually looking at you 100% square in the face all the time. I'd like to think that there has to be some benefit from seeing yourself more frequently in different lights and perspectives. And I mean a benefit other than "indescribable vanity."
No comments:
Post a Comment