I just now realized exactly how often I use the phrase "fine line" in everyday conversation. By now, I'm pretty sure my total count trumps the average reference count for Aveno dermatology ads. It does come in handy when arguments start to become too polarly divided. There is, after all, a fine line between a good debate and two people ranting for their own health. There's a fine line between being extroverted and being overbearing. There's a fine line between "no pain, no gain" and not recognizing that exercising with a heart rate at 200 bpm is probably going to make your arteries explode. There's a fine line between muffins and cupcakes. Namely, frosting.
There's also a fine line between knowing where your boundaries are and thinking that you know where your boundaries are, which, if you're wrong, winds up making them restrictive limits instead of actual points of failure. And it's hard to know the difference between "thinking" and "knowing" unless you've actually tested yourself, and I'd guess that a lot of people would rather spend their entire lives in Adequate Comfort Land before dreaming of taking that kind of risk.
You could argue that if the central plain gives you a nice enough life, there's no real reason to find out where the coasts are. There're as many reasons to not try as there are to try. But it's a fine line.
No comments:
Post a Comment