Saturday, June 14, 2008

I've always believed in futures

In case you're ever bored, I'd like to recommend a fun game to play with your life. I would awkwardly call it something like, "Brainstorm ways to forcibly create as absurdly thick of a silver lining as possible for every situation" or alternatively, "Optimism." It's probably not a new game to anyone who isn't already suicidal or Lewis Black, but I take that to mean that trademarking it could get me all sorts of royalties from the 90% of the population who already plays my game regularly.

Optimism®, for example, has in my own life recently transferred "unpaid internship 45 miles from my house" into "invaluable opportunity to have a trial adult life." For the majority of the summer, I'll be living in a one-bedroom condo and commuting daily to a steady, 9-5, cubicled job. Which means I get an opportunity to get a taste of what living alone and having an Office Space job would be like--minus actually really supporting myself and plus having the luxury of coming back home on weekends to curl up in my room.

The difference between playing Optimism® and not playing Optimism® is that the game requires you to actively keep your mind open to catch new and unexpected opportunities to learn. In only a week and a half of my FauxAdulthood I've already learned tons of things totally unrelated to publishing. Such as:
- Despite the fact that I assumed the exact opposite, I don't want to live alone. If I do find myself living the Studio life, I will undoubtedly either become a heinous couch potato or one of those people who thinks her dog is a human child.
- If I'm going to sit for eight hours a day, none of the ways that I usually sit in chairs (cross legged, one leg under me, both legs under me) are appropriate or, really, successfully supply blood to my feet.
- My now natural impulse to smile at walking passerby, while normal at IWU, invites all sorts of awkward responses on a city street.

The downside to Optimism®: decision-making. Knowing how to shove any pigeon into a dove suit is great but it doesn't necessarily account for compare/contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment