At this particular moment in time, I'm sitting at my desk in my room in the apartment I share with Sarah and Anne. I'm curled in my chair, blanket-wrapped, in my favorite un-ladylike position, with my right leg and foot curled under me while the other is propped on the seat of the chair so my knee sticks up mountain-like next to my arm. Directly in front of me, out the window, the sky is clear, and against the lighted side of my neighbor's house I can see the blurry shadows of leaves fluttering on their branches from the tree in my yard. I've just made myself my second mug of Swiss Miss-infused coffee and have been, for the last several minutes, idly listening to the newest additions to my iTunes. Pleased over the fact that there's nothing terribly pressing for me to be doing right now, I wonder if I'm going to be able to think of anything to blog about.
This type of scene (ComfyLinda + coffee + nice weather + music + blogging) falls into a category of non-extraordinary situations that, if pressed, I'd probably call Linda's Happy Moments. I imagine most people have their own. They're the types of scenes you think about when hypnotists or grief counselors tell you to go to a "happy place", or when you're stuck trudging through sleeting rain and your mind begins to wander to places you'd rather be. Some of my other ones include:
- Reading a novel, outside, on one of those late spring/early fall 75-degree sunny days, lounging on one of the rare comfortable benches in downtown Naperville
- Crocheting in a comfy recliner to the glow of either a fireplace or Christmas tree in wintertime while a movie (one I've seen before and don't need to pay close attention to) plays within sight. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate is a plus.
- Holing up in my room, playing every Ani DiFranco CD I own, and over the course of several unnoticed hours, completing a charcoal drawing from start to finish
You may notice a theme. Apparently immobile solitude mixed with hot liquid and some connection to the liberal arts is a magic combination for me.
In the one or two conversations I've had with people on this topic, I've been mildly surprised to discover that other people's Happy Moments aren't necessarily calming and caffeine-infused. Some people appear to be at their happiest when actively socially engaged, in a crowd, around other people. One person I talked to said she instantly mentally traveled to the intense center of a Metro mosh pit. I could convince myself pretty easily that "Being curled up with my Boy of Choice watching a movie" or "Having an extended and chatty coffee date with a good friend" would make my list as well, but to be perfectly honest with myself, all of my gut-reaction LHM involve me being alone with my hobbies.
Insert really obvious psychoanalysis here.
Monday, October 19, 2009
There's a blaze of light in every word; it doesn't matter which you heard
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment