Friday, March 4, 2011

Tick-tock

I don't generally believe that I'm in any position to figure out the World At Large or How Things Work--mostly because the world is very, very big and I am very, very small. Smallness couples with the fact that I and everyone else on this earth have a wildly limited perspective on Things, thanks to the pure and incidental fact that we are all born as ourselves, with two eyes and one brain, and not Everyone Else in the World with Infinite Perceptive Faculties. The extent of my judgmental influence and sense-making pretty much ends at my corneas, and the World, as far as I can tell, doesn't arrange itself to suit my brain box.

Further, my brief experience in this world has taught me that what seem to be small decisions may wind up being important ones, while sometimes the seemingly major crossroads turn out to be relatively inconsequential, to the extent that I'm able to figure out such things. I also know that important things are prone to happening so slowly and gradually that sometimes they don't present themselves as "decisions" at all. I also know that what's "important" tends to change from day to day, even for those with the strongest convictions.

...

So, how much more of this, do you think, it will take before this whole grad school thing becomes an easier decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment