Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You did it for the stories you could tell

Having painstakingly emerged from my finals coma, I've discovered that I already have an outstanding warrant on my annual blog-tacular New Years predictions game. Based on my immediate reactions to my previous, year-old list, another entry is likely to follow that features me obnoxiously marveling over how darn eventful 2011 was for me. But for now...:

Predictions of Varying Certainty for 2011:*
- By April, I will be working for a different company than the one I do now.
- I will visit a state that I have previously never been to.
- My parents, sister, and GR will patiently help me make a series of agonizing decisions over the course of the year.
- My student loans will finally be consolidated successfully.
- By the end of the year, I will become a better cook and expand my culinary skills beyond the rudimentary meals I make now, perhaps even learning to wield spices.
- I will attend at least two (2) weddings.


* While I don't believe in karma or jinxes, I don't not believe in them, either, so I'm making the executive decision to abstain from any predictions about the results of my grad school applications.


How Prescient I Actually Was*:
- I did indeed switch jobs, with minimal incident, and wound up at a place that let me continue to work part-time and remotely when I moved to Boston. I call this a double-win.
- I don't actually think I visited any new states. I moved to a new state, though, for the first time in my life, so I'd like to think that makes up for it.
- This was clearly a not-too-subtle reference to the fact that I thought I might be choosing a grad school in 2011, and it came true accordingly. My listed confidants wound up "helping" by being supportive in my decision-making, but my choice of grad school was, to be fair, probably not the one they internally hoped for.
- My student loans were not only consolidated, but also deferred for a laughably long time thanks to me re-becoming a full-time student.
- Fail. I still make the same five or six meals every day, happily.
- I was invited to two weddings, but only attended one. 40% fail.

* What a wuss. This list would have been more interesting if I had made grad school acceptance predictions. Then again, perhaps it was my deft avoidance of such a damning jinx that got me into grad school this year, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Predictions of Varying Certainty for 2012:
- I'll agonize over whether or not to move apartments or renew my lease in my current one, but will ultimately decide to stick with my current pad.
- I will schedule, take, and successfully get through my minor field exam.
- At least two of my friends (not including GR) will come visit me in Boston.
- I'll keep my current part-time/remote job for the duration of the year.
- I will be surprised by at least one person I know announcing that she is pregnant.
- I will go see a movie in theaters less than two times over the course of the entire year.

3 comments:

  1. Haha the movie one. Next December, when you've seen two already and I'm begging you to come to "The Hobbit" with me, you'll be sorry you were so brash!!

    Also, bold move on the pregnancy one. Bold move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's more likely that an engagement will be announced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's absolutely certain that an engagement will be announced. That's why pregnancy is much more fun to bet on.

      Delete