2012 was a pleasant year for me, if only because it was (unlike the previous few) a year of overwhelming stability and predictability, which appeases the better Millhouses of my nature. This year, for the first time since 2005, I didn't have to move/switch apartments; I continued to trundle along a career trajectory that will keep my life and movements delightfully regulated for at least the next three years; and I kicked off Relationship Year Four with a boy who has yet to give any indication that he's getting sick of me. So, before I launch into my annual blogtacular New Years predictions game, I'd like to give 2012 a shout-out and a hearty imaginary clap on the back for being, at least in Lindaland, an admirably good egg of a year. High fives all around.
Predictions of Varying Certainty for 2012:
- I'll agonize over whether or not to move apartments or renew my lease in my current one, but will ultimately decide to stick with my current pad.
- I will schedule, take, and successfully get through my minor field exam.
- At least two of my friends (not including GR) will come visit me in Boston.
- I'll keep my current part-time/remote job for the duration of the year.
- I will be surprised by at least one person I know announcing that she is pregnant.
- I will go see a movie in theaters less than two times over the course of the entire year.
How Prescient I Actually Was:
- Yep, as noted above. To be honest, though, I didn't do that much "agonizing." Inertia and moving-fatigue basically made the decision for me.
- Success! My minor exam, stressful though it was, is now a couple months behind me, munching on my dust.
- 75% success, since I'm not counting family members. Ellyn came to visit me, and I met Zach downtown while he was passing through Boston over the summer.
- Truth. I will cling to my job like a sloth to a tree branch for as long as I can.
- Two of my old high-school acquaintences, to my surprise, are currently pregnant.
- Truth. I saw The Dark Knight Rises back in July, but otherwise didn't find myself in a movie theater for the rest of the year.
Bonus List of Significant 2012 Events I Didn't Predict, Either Due to My Own Lack of Foresight or Their Total Unexpectedness:
- My sister's engagement and marriage
- Obama's re-election
- That worries about the so-called Mayan Apocalypse would actually become a Thing
- The Backstreet Boys [re-]reunion
- A surprising number of divorces among people I know
- My How I Met Your Mother fandom
- That I would find myself thinking, "Jeez, another shooting massacre?" seemingly every two weeks
Predictions of Varying Certainty for 2013:
- GR and I will move into a two-bedroom apartment somewhere along the D-line, and will find the transition into cohabitation to be relatively smooth, even if the move itself is a little stressful.
- I will attend fewer weddings than I did in 2012 (during which I attended three), and I will not be in any bridal parties.
- I will travel outside of the U.S. more than once. Canada and Mexico totally count toward this tally.
- I will find that I enjoy teaching.
- I will make at least one really large/significant purchase (e.g., a car, furniture, a major appliance)
- GR will teach me how to drive manual transmission cars.
- My current cell phone will finally give out, forcing me to join the 21st century and get a smart phone. Still, I will not buy an iPhone.
I love your prediction posts!
ReplyDelete