Saturday, February 12, 2005

Find what wind serves to advance an honest mind

Something I like about having a regular journal or diary over an extended period of time is that after a while, one can look back on days exactly a year or two ago and discover what was being felt, done, and dreamed at that particular point in time. Interestingly enough, precisely one year ago I started my Lenten deprivation, was gearing up for musical tech, and was on a vague but nagging search for a job. My, how things change.

Valentine's Day, naturally, is coming up again, and this year I've decided that I'm really glad I don't have any sort of commitment to the holiday. Sure, couples use it as an excuse to give and receive pretty and almost exclusively unnecessary things, singles use it as an excuse to sigh and mourn and be cynical, and everyone (with the exception of some Lenten folk) uses it as an excuse to drown themselves in processed sugar. But when you're single and not embittered and vengeful, it's easy to note the outright cuteness of much of the activity, appreciate the jealous irony in the protests of non-paired people, and be amused by the overt commercialism.

And really, how can anyone take too seriously a holiday which generates childhood memories of shoeboxes, construction paper, doilies, and awkward little people running around, giggling?

Linda's Top 5 Favorite Words:

1) Epiphany

2) Superfluous

3) Awe

4) Serene

5) Taboo

No comments:

Post a Comment