Everyone hears about (or witnesses) those married couples who fight about the dumbest things. Wife will glance in the kitchen and see that the dishwasher hasn't been emptied, and suddenly divorce papers are being filed following the Great China Massacre of 1999. As a bystander with only a limited glimpse into their world, you wonder how psycho Mrs. McCrazy has to be to get so worked up about some dirty plates. It's really easy to judge when you don't consider how little things build up in the mind until unfolded piles of laundry become symbolic of the lack of respect your partner has for you.
I usually don't even realize when I do it. It's the kind of thing that only becomes apparent when, for example, you say, "Man, that guy is irritating," but when questioned further, you're forced to think to yourself that every reason you have to back up your judgment would sound really stupid out loud (ex. "He does this really annoying clicking thing with his tongue." Good one.)
So, we have to write about our "life philosophy" for (surprise!) philosophy class this week. For all the fairly opinionated ranting I do, I'm finding it really hard to boil my thoughts, actions, and decisions down to a few generalizing sentences. Anything I can think of results in me adding so many qualifiers that what started out as a description of my "cross that bridge" attitude becomes a discussion about my thoughts on SUVs.
I think I'm going to try something slightly out of character for me in the next few weeks. And if it blows up in my face, well, I'm going to college soon, right?
Sunday, May 14, 2006
It's all for the best? Of course it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment