Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I've never been so surreptitious

LTotW: Graduation Edition - Part 2: Everything else

- I gotta say, out of all the festivities of Graduation Week--the last day of school, the awards assembly, the brunch, practice, etc--actually graduating was probably my least favorite part. It was hot, the speeches were adequate but not overtly memorable, and I spent the hour or so it took to read all 900 names half staring with mind numbing blankness at the stage and half trying to keep myself from being irritated with my esteemed fellow graduates. Maybe it was the sight of the girl standing next to me catching the corner of a violently pitched cap in the eye that finally did it in for me.

- I officially and verifiability talk English good! In your face, Merriam and/or Webster!

- Good things about the graduation process: Special treatment, gifts, wearing laughable outfits, being on friendly terms with everyone (what's the point of being a jerk by now?), not having to pay for food for weeks thanks to parties.

- Bad things: Hours and hours of small talk, hearing the word "congratulations" so many times you don't know how to spell it anymore, and having your health ruined by subsisting entirely off of party food.

- People keep asking me if I'm excited for college, and I am, for all the normal reasons. I'm beginning to wonder what other answer they could possibly be anticipating.

- I also keep getting asked how I feel about graduating, and I think the answer is yes. Or no. Pick any emotion, and I'm probably feeling/not feeling it to some extent. The only thing I don't feel at all is unprepared, which is probably why no one emotion or set of emotions is dominating over the others.

- Overall, I'd deem my high school experience an overwhelmingly positive one. It might have just been karma apologizing to me for grades 1-8, but I get the feeling that if I had to do it over again, almost everything would remain exactly the same. Nice work, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment