Monday, October 2, 2006

Don't betray them by becoming familiar

A few days ago I was talking to a friend and asked him what his personal style was when it came to trust. I said, for example, that I tend to put and maintain trust in people immediately, until they give me a reason to revoke it. He said that he operated on the opposite mindset, that no one had his trust until it was painstakingly earned.

Now that I think about it, it was a stupid question to ask, and even sillier to expect any kind of coherent answer. What I said wasn't true at all, even in a generalized form. Some people I trust instantly because, due to totally unrelated things like their face or charismatic presence, they seem to be trustworthy people. Some people give off a vibe that, while possibly wildly inaccurate, discourages me from trusting them. And I imagine most other people react the same way. There is no standard or procedure and it's actually a little unfair to presume, even for yourself, that one exists. Unless you particularly like being shoved in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment