Friday, October 20, 2006

A song to pass the time

I seriously think karma's coming back to bite me in the butt. It doesn't really seem fair, though, since I didn't realize what I was doing was going to result in the sucky variety of boomerang until, well, just now.

This is why I'm Christian and not Buddhist. Grace is spectacularly better than actually getting what you deserve.

As I think I've mentioned numerous times in the past, one of the Themes of Linda's Existence for the last few years has been that I don't really take anything too seriously. Sometimes a fair amount of conscious effort goes into that, but overall I don't find it that difficult to just consider most things water under the bridge and skip merrily along my way like a tall, alto Rainbow Brite. I've considered the various ramifications of that mindset (like turning me into a robot), but I think I've implicitly decided a little 3P0 in me can't hurt.

Actually, that mantra must have started in middle school, because I distinctly remember seeing all my giggly, glittery, prepubescent peers freaking out over their "boyfriends" and thinking to myself, "Dude, you're 12. Take it easy." The root of my lack of mental severity was the determination not to be like them, all hyper and melodramatic about the hotties from Social Studies, who, despite the braces, science fair shirts, and awkward vocal ranges, were the loves of their lives.

Which brings up an interesting point, as far as dating goes. I still don't characteristically take dating that seriously. I've had that middle school train of thought through all the similarly dramatic, though somewhat longer and more intense, high school relationships. I still said, "You're only 17. Take it easy." Now I know people who are about to get married, so I guess people have to start taking it hard sometime. But I'll still be the one standing in the corner saying, "You're having kids? Dude, you're only 30. Relax."

No comments:

Post a Comment