So, when it comes to making "life decisions" (as Kim so aptly calls them), I know several people who create pro/con lists, either mentally or physically, consciously or not. Which stands to reason, 'cause as long as you're on good terms with foresight, it's a relatively foolproof method. When I make those kind of lists, though, they tend to fail me, because while I might make a lengthy, logical, detailed compendium of decision-making brilliance, I will always disregard it completely and go with what I intuitively want more. Which would seem uncharacteristic of me if you fail to take into consideration that I have a galactically logical intuition.
I think a lot of times it's helpful to operate in a state of half-awareness (No, not literally. Put the syringe away). It's more like when you set your clock ahead a few minutes to make yourself more timely. Even though in the back of your mind you'll always know that the numbers glowing at you aren't the anal-retentive, atomic-precise time, you allow yourself to be distracted for the sake of punctuality. I can think of several other scenarios in which that skill would come in equally handy.
In my sociology class my professor has been drilling home the idea that it's impossible to truly know who you are unless you make the effort to see yourself as others see you, and how you appear and function in the larger scope of things. I guess that means that everyone who says they don't care what other people think of them are considered intrapersonally sociologically retarded. Take that, punk rock.
In The Departed there was this line where Ms. Only Female Character says that truth and honesty aren't the same thing. I can't decide if that's worth trying to think about.
Sunday, February 4, 2007
It ain't about equality, it's about reprieve
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment