For all intents and purposes, and considering the stereotype that pseudointellectual college kids change their opinions as the temperamental wind of whatever propaganda they last read directs them, I should be a feminist by now. I was just tested on all the ways in which women are still Donna Reed-ed by society and spent the majority of my spring break reading The Bell Jar and a 400 page book about the sexual liberation of a group of black women. Plus I've been listening to a lot of Ani DiFranco.
One of the more interesting things about having one of these websites is that the brief clicking it takes to access, say, 2004 betrays the wide discrepancies in mindset/opinion I might have gone through in what is now represented by seconds of browsing. Or stayed the same. It all kind of blurs. But I have a feeling anything I said about feminism before probably isn't much valid anymore.
Because one thing I've since learned is that I really shouldn't write anything unless I have a definite, informed opinion, or at least given the subject some serious thought. And as well acquainted as I am with the experience of Being Female, the line I put down between Honor Thy Husband and Hear Me Roar is drawn more with an airbrush than an exact-o knife. I naturally believe women are intellectual equals to men and entitled to independence, but when I read To the Lighthouse, I was sincerely disappointed that Lily Briscoe wasn't going to get married. I always want the women to get married.
I think it's impossible to grow up in this day and age and not be what in 1940 would have been considered a feminist, even if you're a dude. But for the moment I'm still trying to decide if the fact that I currently still largely see having a husband as essential to my life's success is a legitimate opinion or just another product of societal upbringing that another year or two of liberal arts education will beat out of me.
I guess it's never too late to learn something.
Sunday, March 25, 2007
If push has come to this, then I guess this must be shove
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment