By virtue of who I am, there's a whole range of emotions I don't regularly experience. Immediately coming to mind are anger, rage, depression, panic, giddiness, and what the myspace emoticon list calls quixotism, which despite the definition I kind of want to experience all the time so I can send some much needed love to the two most neglected alphabet characters. Those emotions aren't shunted from my daily life because I try to avoid them, though; it just kind of works out that way. On the other hand, I do reserve the right for myself to actively hate one particular emotion, and for it I will make an exception to this rule. And that is Pity.
It's not like I think that people who pity other people are bad people, considering the conventional reported alternative would likely be callousness/sadism, which are never particularly productive. I just think pity is useless and degrading. Like lobster bibs. My thought process goes something like this:
1. I hate being pitied. I feel like it puts me in a position of inferiority and Mr. Pitier in a position to stand above me, paternally clucking his tongue at my misfortune while he enjoys his status as Not Me.
2. It's not really fair of me to inflict emotions which I hate upon other people, is it? Is it possible to stop pitying?
3. The annihilation of pity wouldn't instantly create a world of monsters. There's an emotion that has an equally humanistic attitude without the condescension called empathy, or even compassion. Empathy is a nice way to say that your heart and aid is with SadPersonX but you trust his capability to cope. Pity is a douchey way of saying that your heart and aid is with SPX because it's your honor and duty as a non-SPX to try to make the poor sap feel like his life doesn't suck so bad.
I honestly don't understand why pity doesn't have more of a negative connotation. Marriam-Webster describes pity as "tender or sometimes slightly contemptuous sorrow for one in misery or distress." Contemptuous! Honestly.
"Thesaurus" sounds like a dinosaur.
"But is not an event in fact more significant and noteworthy the greater the number of fortuities necessary to bring it about? Chance and chance alone has a message for us. Everything that occurs out of necessity, everything expected, repeated day in and day out, is mute. Only chance can speak to us."
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Fate isn't just whose cooking smells good but which way the wind blows
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment