At midnight on January 1st, 2008, I was doing pretty much the same thing, with the same people, in the same town, as I had done at midnight on January 1st, 2007. Which sounds like an introduction to a whine fest about monotony, but I'm only pointing it out because, for all intents and purposes, and despite my status as a rock 'n roll youth in a turbulent age, not much has changed in the last year. Predictably, I didn't fail out of college, and further, I have the same job, the same friends, the same major. I switched roommates, added a job, and drive a debatably pimper ride, and nabbing a boy was significant, but it's not like I wound up kidnapped to Sibera only to be resold as a mail order bride to the west coast of the United States or something.
And not to fly in the face of all the resoluting that a new calendar inspires, but I think unless you're at one of those trigger points in life where things actually dramatically change, most people would agree that from 1/1 to 1/1, the scenery hasn't been moved around too much. Which is why resolutions happen - so that things will actually be different - but I think it's obvious that that whole process is more a cycle than anything else.
Plus, again, unless you're in Triggerland, the changes that are most likely to happen to you are going to be unforeseen. Deaths, relationships, job losses, and kidnappings are difficult to schedule. In the spirit of being both realistic and interesting, I think the best thing to do on New Years is to list out the few things you expect to happen, and then break it out the next time you hear Auld Lang Syne and compare it to what actually went down.
Changes I'm Anticipating in 2008:
- Spending the summer either at an internship or at Not At The Barn
- Going to Hawaii
- Moving into my first apartment
- I'll probably buy a new pair of jeans at some point or something
So much to look forward to.
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Here's the mutiny I promised you. And here's the party it turned into
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment