Sunday, September 4, 2011

Adventures in solitude

I'm in Boston. 1,007 miles, 3 Great Lakes, and 1 laughably eroded mountain range now separate me from Chicago. Everything I own on this planet, as it turns out, fits into a 5x8 U-Haul truck plus a few cubic feet of Aztek trunk space. Campus is beautiful. Every building looks the same, which is great for aesthetics and cohesion but terrible for my ability to successfully navigate campus. My apartment is also beautiful. The walls are serendipitously already painted colors that match my furniture and linens perfectly. Moving in took less time than I thought it would. I never think that I have too many books until I have to move. Now that I'm all moved in, I've already decided that I could use more books. Boston drivers honk as often as geese and just as randomly. The nearby interstate allows motorists to drive on the shoulder during morning and evening rush hours, which looks weird and feels weirder. Everyone I've met has been unusually friendly, including random townies. I touch-up painted the walls in my apartment when I was bored and without internet, which made me feel hyperbolically competent in DIY house repair. I prefer playing my Gilmore Girls DVDs in the background while I putz around, rather than music. I stocked a bare-shelved kitchen with 100% of the foodstuffs I need to survive for roughly $170. I don't feel lonely yet and I think it'll be a while until I do. I do miss my seester, my parents, my friends, and my GR. I was slightly embarrassed this morning when the Comcast guy came to install my internet and my bed was still unmade with a teddy bear splayed on my blankets. I'm ahead in the reading for my classes but feel like I should be more ahead. The T is harder to figure out than the L. I haven't actually been to downtown Boston yet, but I have finally memorized my zip code. Very few people I've talked to so far have had a Boston accent. I'm curious to find out if anyone ever thinks I have a Chicago accent. My picture in my new student ID is surprisingly flattering. My first class is on Thursday.

Let the games begin.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun! You'll end up being so busy that it'll be Christmas in two seconds. Once on the train someone mistook my Chicago accent for an Irish one.

    ReplyDelete