Happy Valentine's Day.
I have a love-hate relationship with V-day. On one hand, I think it's nice that there's a holiday in which people can celebrate caring for each other, and it's a good excuse to receive sweets and flowers. On the other hand, it often puts a lot of pressure on couples to either a) find a good gift and/or b) define the relationship, and it also often makes those not part of a happy duo to get a bit depressed. On an impartial and imaginary third hand, should we really need a greeting card holiday to express our love to others? Ideally we'd be doing that more or less daily anyway without the prompting of a Hallmark Kiss-Kiss Bear and chalk flavored hearts.
Of course, Valentine's Day apparently also means there has to be some sort of sickeningly stereotypical love activity going on in one of my classes, such as, say, making valentines in French class. I felt like I was in second grade. Construction paper. Doilies. Stickers. It was the most disgustingly cutesy thing I've done in a long time. And due to a lack of recipient, even as a joke, my purse is now graced with the presence of a folded piece of red paper with "Je t'aime" and six other phrases to the same effect written on it.
Today I spent the day more or less in transit. Forty five minutes or so in the car, then an hour and a half on a train, then half an hour on the bus, and repeat for the ride home. In between time was spent in the Chicago Auto Show. As I know about as much about cars as I do bull fighting, I had a much better time sprinting around the station and lounging in the trains than I did at the show itself, which also, as usual, proved that "it's not the destination, it's the journey" cliche.
During said "journey," I observed two things. 1) There sure are a lot of couples. 2) Some homeless people are real jerks.
"Never judge someone by who he's in love with; judge him by his friends. People fall in love with the most appalling people. Take a cool, appraising glance at his pals." -Cynthia Heimel
No comments:
Post a Comment