Lent starts tomorrow, and though the start of the 40 day period doesn't mark any particular significance among those of my religion, besides the recognition of Ash Wednesday, I've decided to do the Catholic thing and attempt to give up sweet/junk food. Not only is it a fairly good idea nutritionally as it is, but it's something that will take some effort to stick to on my part, which is rather the point of the tradition. Every time you have to concentrate on sacrificing something in your life, it's supposed to be a reminder of the sacrifice made for you. We'll see how that goes. Spiritual Will Power vs. The Snickers Bar.
Though I have, semi-inadvertently, joined a Lenten study at my church that requires the reading of the book Purpose Driven Life by Patrick Warren. My commitment to the study has been decidedly slacktastic thus far, considering the daily chapter reading requires me to have read up through chapter 7 or so, and I've yet to pick up the book. A promising start to a self improvement plan, if I do say so myself.
I'm also scheduled to see The Passion Of The Christ on Saturday with my family, an activity I'm equally excited and dubious about. All signs about this movie point to awesome, but the renowned violence and intense realism has me and my weak stomach and nerves a bit weary. And I'm not a huge fan of subtitles, as it draws attention away from the visuals a bit. I'll probably see it anyway.
I think it'll really be humorous in an ironic sense to go to the movie theater and see "50 First Dates... Eurotrip... Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen... Passion of The Christ." A lot of people think it seems a bit pathetic on humanity's part that we call for a multi-million dollar motion picture to pique interest in religion. I figure Mel Gibson had his own ideas and motives for the movie, which may or may not have anything to do with converting humanity, so judgment can't really be passed in that area.
In the meantime, my time will be spent at tech, working on what has been becoming an increasingly complicated set in my mind, and at the never ending, though not entirely ardent, quest for a job.
No comments:
Post a Comment