Yesterday I came across one of our copies of TIME magazine which sported the headline "Secrets of the TEEN BRAIN," along with a subtitle that promised to "explain its mystifying ways." Being part of the mentioned demographic, and possesing one of the apparently mystical objects referred to, I read the article, which went on to state that the not entirely developed sections of the brain (which won't be completely developed until 22-25) could be responsible for teenagers:
Staying up late
Making stupid decisions
Having an increased attraction to drugs and alcohol
Inability to prioritize
Inability to read people's emotions/facial expressions
Impulsive actions
Affinity for rock 'n roll
Desire to rebel/seek out thrills
Having overexaggerated emotions
Being more vulnerable to peer pressure
While I thought it was pretty interesting that scientists were able to link so many teen habits that were before solely attributed to raging hormones (which are still a big factor), I thought it was really funny how they treated teenagers as an alien, mass population, unlike normal, adult humans, with generalized characteristics. I think people spend far too much time wondering about the origin behind actions and not enough on simply accepting and reacting to them. Some of the things said really made teenagers sound more like some animal breed than just younger humans -- such as, "Don't be afraid to show physical affection, as long as it is accepted."
Anyway.
Cathi and I went to Chrissy's confirmation last night. I'd never been to any kind of Catholic service (mass?) before, sans this one experience downtown when I was around 9, which included a lot of Latin and this little girl glaring at me. It was cool, but I felt really awkward occasionally. Like when they started talking about Mary. Or crossing themselves. And the bishop talked about the Pop a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment