I don't know if you watch 7th Heaven or not, but if you do, have you ever noticed that in every episode, everyone's lives correlate perfectly? If Simon is getting pressured into smoking, Ruthie will have a friend who thinks smoking is cool, Mary's friend will be diagnosed with lung cancer, and Matt will be having problems with a girlfriend due to her addiction. One way or another, all family members will be dealing with variations of an issue that have the same resolving moral in order to create a nicely packaged ending.
I never thought I'd compare my life to 7th Heaven, but it is seeming to be leaning towards that pattern. It's just too bad the topic in question isn't so light as smoking. Now I'm just waiting for that heartfelt moment of resolution where at least 2/3 of parties present will end up in tears, with at least 1/4 of them male.
That reminds me of those statistics around school they have right now that say 1 in 3 girls have experienced dating violence/abusive relationships. Or those posters that say 1 in 4 kids at school smoke. 1 in 3 drink. Those posters really depress me. Especially because more than 75% of the school is underage for smoking, 100% underage for drinking, and violence is pretty much 100% illegal. It's a flawed logic (and thanks to English, I can tell you via logical fallacies table exactly why) to say if you count out three or four people at random, 1 of them will HAVE to drink/smoke/be abused, but even so, it's a saddening thought.
And on that note, my prayers go out to those wrapped up in this 7th Heaven syndrome.
No comments:
Post a Comment