Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Some can't tell the difference anymore

I still occasionally find it amusing that an activity I'd never even particularly heard of 4-5 years ago now utterly consumes my life. I actually remember passing by the scene shop on the way to a band audition in 8th grade, peering in, seeing some kids, and not knowing what they were doing. I figured it was auto or something. A lot of those kids are probably my friends now.

At this point I could launch into one of those "it's funny how things turn out" or "you never would have guessed a few years ago where you are today" monologues, but I think I'll save that for another day.

What I am going to touch on, though, is something I was thinking about earlier. NVHS has over 3000 kids now, and I know very few of them. Despite that, in my head I think I know a lot of people at the school, and I decided it's because I'm so involved in my little section. At larger high schools (and colleges, I assume) it's impossible to get to know everyone in your year, let alone school. There are 960 someodd kids in my grade... I know less than 400 by face, mostly because I attended middle school with them. I don't talk to 90% of that group, primarily for the same reason. So, I get involved in a small area of the school (theatre, for those of you who have trouble connecting the dots) where I'll get to know most everyone on an acquaintance level, if I don't form a true friendship. Pretty much everyone finds their little niche, and those who don't, I've noticed, really end up enjoying their school years a lot less, because though they have friends, they don't have a common activity that ties them to their school and allows them to be part of something that not only encourages new friendships, but makes them feel necessary and included. Because I'm involved in tech, and am known in that circle, I feel like the school needs me around and cares if I don't show up. Others have sports, band, chess, and government, depending on interest.

I'd be good at those "get involved" motivational speeches they give the freshman. I'm also pretty good at stating the obvious.

There's weather today!

No comments:

Post a Comment