Friday, February 3, 2006

Choose love or sympathy, but never both

Do you remember that day in biology or psychology when you put these little strips of paper on your tongue, and depending on whether or not you had a certain gene, you either could or couldn't taste what was on it? I think that concept sometimes happens to me on a daily basis, except replace "licking paper" with "Linda talking" and "tasting something" with "hearing silence."

So, since I've lived in Naperville my entire life, there's a few people whom I've been acquainted with since they were about seven years old, but whom I haven't talked to in about ten years. Because of that, whenever I see those people today, I automatically relate them to the random, outdated perception of them that I have from almost a decade ago. Though I'm well aware of the extreme changes people go through between the ages of eight and eighteen, I'll still semi-unconsciously brand someone as a jerk because the one memory I have of them is them not giving me a turn on the swings. Or because they were a chronic line-cutter.

Speaking of elementary school, does anyone remember when what you had for lunch was really important? You were cool if you had one of those Lunchables things, but it was acceptable to just have a PB&J. I was the kid who always had the complete set of dinner leftovers in tupperware.

Good things: Probable Kohl's employment, new art projects, regular exercise, sleep-in Saturdays, pickleball domination, calculus (?)

Things I've learned about myself recently:
- I can go from sleeping to shower fresh, fed, and walking out the door in less than 15 minutes.
- I smile when I'm angry.
- I'd rather eat cereal 24/7 than take the time to prepare a meal.
- I think philosophy class is going to be 1/3 engaging, 1/3 funny and anecdotal, and 1/3 me wanting to shoot myself rather than sit through another inane discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment