Thursday, October 27, 2005

Can't sell your soul for peace of mind

Movies (that is to say, movies that don't involve lots of exploding, murder, or suspense... so pretty much romantic comedy-esque films) have a strange effect on me. I mean besides the girly "awww" effect, which is a given, and neither strange nor, I believe, the true reason I like them so much. When I watch those movies, for those few hours I get really engaged in the characters (because I'm your average media tool, I'm easily engaged in characters). And somewhere in the back of my mind I actually believe that what I'm watching is life, and that those perfect movie moments with beautiful people and flawlessly timed conversations will actually happen, and to me.

So when the movie ends, I feel good until I'm a little let down by the realization that Orlando Bloom isn't in love with me, and my world suddenly seems a little worse for not being more Hollywood. Conversations are so much less smooth, situations are always less straightforward, and, let's face it, most people are moderately less attractive. Actually, there are only roughly four truly movie-esque moments that I can recall noting in my life, which makes me smile until I think about how I'm comparing my life to a multi-million dollar industry, whose sole purpose is to manipulate people like me to think how I do. Then I smile again, but more ironically.

You know, I don't think I'd be happy in your average romantic-comedic scenario anyway; I don't have the disposition for it. Then again, if anyone as appealing as your average movie star was attempting to woo me, my "disposition" might change.

Linda's Top 5 "Awww" Movies:

- 10 Things I Hate About You

- Pretty Woman

- Elizabethtown

- Ever After

- Shakespeare In Love

No comments:

Post a Comment