Monday, October 17, 2005

I hope you're as happy as you're pretending

1) In my head, I more or less consider Cathi and I twins and practically perfect equals. I don't consider either one of us particularly older, younger, smarter, prettier, more mature, or funnier than the other. The fact that she spent a year away in college and that we don't hang out as much anymore hasn't fazed this in the slightest.

2) I'm really flighty. I can change my mind about almost anything with no explanation except waking up to a new day. I like to look at the positive aspects of this, such as being able to empathize with multiple points of view, but it really kind of sucks for the people this tendency can affect.

3) I'm horrible at recognizing sarcasm unless I know the speaker well. I'll take statements seriously and only after a few moments will I realize the lack of sincerity and cover it up by playing along. Thankfully I've surpassed this point with most people I talk to, but every so often it makes for a rather awkward situation.

4) I sometimes make myself a hypocrite. I'll realize something about myself that I don't like, and then make some general statement about how I hate it when "people" have that quality. I think the idea is that saying it aloud might incite me to change, but I imagine a lot of times it just makes me, you know, a hypocrite.

5) I don't think dead baby jokes, drugs, most slapstick/physical comedy, or political cartoons are funny. Sorry.

6) I don't like committing myself to things. I don't like making plans too far in advance; taking decisive and unalterable action makes me nervous, and one of the only reasons I'm not applying early to Northwestern is because of the fact that if I'm accepted, I can't get out of it.

7) There are a few things about me, a few opinions that I have, that I know won't change. When friends and family, with good intention and infinite wisdom, remind me of all the growing up and development I have yet to go through and assure me with a pat on the head that things will, indeed, change, I smile indulgently and nod, but I know myself better than that. I don't think that's something most people understand.

8) I suck at pretty much every sport I've ever tried, with the following exceptions: floor hockey, badminton, water polo, ultimate frisbee, and rock climbing.

Looking forward to:

  • Spending a day with Schwammy!
  • Beach house Halloween weekend!
  • Variety show!
  • Chrissy's birthday!
  • Jenny's birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment