You know, I've talked on more than one occasion about how I have an insatiable sense of curiosity. And then I usually allude to it's role in my future death. I've decided that's a half-lie (I suppose I can only hope my cat-like demise is a total lie). I am supernaturally curious about things that interest me; if I want to know something or have a hunch to confirm, I'll track it down like a cliche simile about a bloodhound. But when it comes to things I'm mentally comfortable with, or things that necessitate no further investigation in my book, my curiosity is nonexistent. Does my lack of curiosity make me feel narrow minded or uninformed? Nope. Reasoning and deductive logic have my back.
So, in math class today I was listening, as is routine, to a girl speak extensively about music. Every day I vicariously get a full report of her assessment of the up and coming indie rock bands. I've decided that having an obsession with music (movies, too) is no better or worse than an obsession with TV. All three are branches of mass media that have the capacity to suck up all time and attention. All three also have the capacity to be thought provoking, controversial, and progressive, or to be completely idiotic, life-wasting disgraces.
Point being, all of them are relatively superficial mediums that people revolve their lives around, yet music and movies are so much more respectable. If you're an expert in music, you're bohemian and cultured. If you watch a ton of movies, people respect your opinion. If you're a TV buff, people assume you're fat.
I started work at the pizza place the other day. It's made me re-notice the fact that, subconsciously, I always assume that when I meet people, they automatically know who I am and what I'm like. I end up getting put off when managers treat me like Average High School Kid and not Linda. It also, then, makes me superconscious of the fact that my chances of proving that I'm not so much Average High School Kid might've been set back when I accidentally called sausage pepperoni for the better part of an hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment