Sunday, June 4, 2006

Do you ever wonder what happens to the words that we send?

So, I've gone on a lot of little rants about how much I hate the internet. Without the internet, would we be seeing the grammatical atrocities of l33t sp33k or emoticons? Would plagiarism and obesity be at epidemic proportions? Probably, but the internet is a good scapegoat.

I'm pretty sure human beings replace brains for rainbows when it comes to inventing things. It seems like everything we create, if used properly, has the potential to skyrocket humanity a little bit further into some Disney dreamland image of tomorrow. Imagine if everyone used the internet only for moderate, wholesome, and accurate informative, communicative, and entertainment purposes. E-mail and IMs could actually improve writing and communication skills with thoughtful, deliberate messaging. That whole "free exchange of information" thing could actually happen in a trustworthy manner. And there'd be a lot less porn.

That's, I imagine, the kind of rose-tinted mindset people have when these things are invented. And then it goes public, and people abuse it, and we wind up with 45 year old men posing as 13 year old girls and high school juniors trying to convince their teachers that they can find "ur" in the dictionary. It's amazing how much all of humanity has in common with a three year old.

Oh, and about that "trying something out of character" thing I mentioned? I'll be spending the next week or so dusting off the ash and regrowing my eyebrows. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment