Wednesday, November 1, 2006

It must be exhausting to lose your own game

If you became deaf, do you think you'd miss the sound of your own voice?

So, all in all, my outlook in life isn't always the most optimistic. Sometimes I promote pessimism (like how expectations and hopes should always be kept low to avoid disappointment or how it's helpful to remind yourself constantly that things could be worse) as if it was a joke, but in my head, I consider those values essentially true. Logically, I assumed that gloomish mindset would transfer to my opinion of people, too. As it turns out, my concept of humanity is so sweet and light it would probably manifest itself in the form of fluorescent cotton candy if given the opportunity.

Like most people, I'd imagine, I have this habit of trusting my own personal opinions and instincts more than the reported history and facts others give me. If you specifically and explicitly informed me that you were a horrible person and listed two or three examples of various appalling behaviors you used to partake in, but you strike me as pleasant and reasonable, you're still Wally Cleaver in my eyes. And, as long as indiscretions are met with what I judge to be sincere remorse and/or logical explanation, forgiveness and some degree of forgetting will be instantly granted. I really do believe that everyone, deep down or in totality, is a good person. At least in their own minds.

I can also see how that frame of mind could easily be written off as young and ignorant and doomed to be inevitably crushed in time by heartbreaking experience and DMV employees, but for the moment I still have another two years before I have to renew my license.

No comments:

Post a Comment