Tuesday, November 7, 2006

I try, but I'm not convincing

I have little wars inside my head a lot, usually involving having to choose a perspective from which to approach a situation. And when I say wars, I mean they would be wars if I was less indecisive. You can't really call it a war when both sides are afraid to fire the first shot.

At Wesleyan there's a class I almost took completely about the concept of perfection. I'm sure it's all about the illusion of perfection and how it functions as a powerful lie that society impresses upon unsuspecting teenagers, forcing them into anorexia, depression, and unfortunate haircuts. There's a popular line of thinking going around right now that perfection doesn't exist except conceptually as a tragically unreachable goal. I don't think this is true, only because I don't think that these people go on the correct definition of perfection.

The Barbie Doll variety of perfection is impossible. That's the kind of perfection that demands acquiescence with every conventional stereotype until the contradictions and discrepancies inherent in the ill-defined pop-culture ideals induce a high pressure implosion of failed expectations. Real perfection necessitates imperfection; when things like weaknesses only heighten appeal and frustrations ignite a curiosity and desire for understanding, they become part of the ideal picture. "You're perfect to me" seems like a cop-out, but it's the only real kind of perfection that exists, so why don't we just accept it?

Words and Phrases Used in Serious Context in Geology That I or, More Frequently, One of My More Immature Male Classmates Initially Snickered at:
Cleavage, dike, flank eruption, wacke, mass wasting, discharge, joint, groin, feeling bottom, butte, playa, love waves

No comments:

Post a Comment