So, I think that it's galactically important never to get too enamored with concepts or potential symbols, especially when those ideals involve other people. For example, I was talking to a friend who admitted to harboring affection for the same girl for years now, despite her obvious lack of interest. In concept and assuming a level of relatively severe depth of feeling, I could find this romantic, tragic, and Gatsby-esque, which I guess seems pretty cool until you remember the part where Jay's face down in the pool. In a more practical light, he's probably depriving himself a lot of possibilities for the sake of living in a heart-wrenching literary theme. I suppose it just depends on your priorities.
I'm not sure, but I think I'm getting a little tired of cereal. Apocalypse now!
I've come to realize that a relatively significant drawback to a habitually logical personality is that it becomes automatically expected that everything that is said or done has heaps of logic behind it. While frequently that's a pretty safe assumption, everyone has those little character anomalies and weaknesses (pet peeves, bad habits, an affinity for golf) in which any kind of discernable rhyme or reason has very little to do with it. Usually I can explain myself away, but occasionally I can't, and I don't particularly like feeling like I have to.
Most people would agree that sometimes it's necessary, thanks to hindsight and for the sake of your own sanity and wellbeing, to remove certain activities, influences, or people from your life. Yet somehow I don't think most people feel so chummy to that mindset when they're the ones that end up on the cutting room floor.
I like Thanksgiving, if just for the fact that, unlike the ChristmaHannaKawaanzadan season, there's no real politically incorrect way to greet someone, with the possible exception of "Happy Putting-a-Happy-Face-on-What- was-Essentially-a-Genocide Day, try not to think too hard about the Trail of Tears."
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Rainbows, I'm inclined to pursue
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment