I think the most accurate way to describe the variety of intelligence that I respect the most is the kind that includes a good grasp of personal attributes, but is accompanied by the capacity to selectively release that grasp for situational benefit.
For example:
Respect: The smart kid in the class who tactfully suggests his obviously accute insights.
Throw rocks at: The smart kid in the class who decisively bestows his obviously accute insights on the class with the modesty and timidity of the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai.
Things I Regularly Don't Do:
- Participate in discussions about "the game."
- Ask directly for things, if I think they can be obtained in a subtler fashion.
- Relate well to children.
- Mourn over the loss of "old-school Nickelodeon."
- Have my sunglasses with me when I actually need them.
People usually subdivide the possible perceptions of change into two categories: a positive excitement for potential or a negative fear of instability. I think I fall into a lesser discussed third category that involves an openness to change contradicted by the stubborn desire to not admit that my current self needs adjusting. Someday I'll learn the difference between hypocrisy and development and things will get better.
I think it's surprisingly easy to be deceived by a good memory.
Friday, January 12, 2007
Who do you carry the torch for, my young man? Do you believe in anything, or do you carry it around just to burn things down?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment