Sunday, January 11, 2004

Here's to you, the good life, and me

One thing I learned about myself today: When I'm put into an uncomfortable situation, or one in which I don't know how to react, I start trembling. Reminicient of Scooby Doo and Shaggy when they encounter the ghost.

One thing I already knew about myself but I was reminded of over this theatre fest weekend: I get frustrated extremely easily with people who wear facades. I want people to level with me, show me their true self, and accept whatever comes of it. Theatre, I'd guess, is about 41% comprised of people who do the exact opposite. In a theatre fest of 4000, that's 1640 people that have a higher potential to irritate me.

One thing I didn't know I missed until Thursday night: I'd forgotten how extremely cool it is to just sit down and talk with one's friends. Void of excessive sarcasm, insults, or forced wit. Topics ranging from homosexuality to religion to home life to boys. I'd say we should do that more often, but it seems to be one of those things that happens once in a blue moon, and I suppose that's why I appreciate it.

One thing I was disappointed about this weekend: The cruel and unjust gods who control the set position and seating arrangements for the All State play came very close to completely ruining the performance-viewing experience for me and my entire school group by having us view the play not from the auditorium (the logical choice), but backstage, by the rigging, with the entire set flipped 180 degrees from what one would expect. Consequently, I couldn't see a freakin' thing. The play was amazing, but I could only see less than half of the stage, which really took a lot out of the experience.

Next thing I'm looking forward to: The next event I can think of is spring break, and even that won't be too exciting. Summer, perhaps? That's a bit depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment