Thursday, January 1, 2004

Waiting, letting go, of what could never be again

Over the last several years, my New Year's Eve activities have spanned from going to lively parties, to lighting fireworks in Georgia, to sitting at home in front of some type of screen. In that light, I suppose it could be said that last night was one of the better New Year celebrations I've been a part of, in the sense that I was with an amusing and overall unfamilliar group of people, and there was laughter, food, and entertainment. But from what English class would call a reader response point of view, the most important matter is whether or not I enjoyed myself. To that, I say... meh.

We've entered a year that has the potential to bring peace or futher warfare, tons of new technology we can't even think of yet, and, if we hope enough, a competant president. Naturally, the things I'm more concerned with are the graduation of my sister and many of my friends, summer plans, and equally comparitively unimportant things that pertain only to me. Either way, by looking at it internationally or personally, entering 2004 should generate some kind of reaction, right? To that, I still say... meh.

Everyone always talks about how things used to be so much more monumental and exciting as a child. Christmas was a big deal. New Year's marked a big change. You felt completely different after each birthday. Even though I reminice about those same things, when I think about it, I don't recall ever feeling changed, or impassioned, due to a holiday or birthday, even as a child. Am I apathetic? I don't think so. Apathy suggests that one doesn't care. I always care, but often find it difficult to initiate a response.

Goal for 2004: Try to be a bit more passionate.
Pessimism for 2004: I doubt that's going to happen.

Real Goal for 2004: Be content. It just might be vague enough to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment