Monday, April 26, 2004

The memory now is like the picture was then

It's when I'm weary of considerations,
and life is too much like a pathless wood
...I'd like to get away from earth awhile
and then come back to it and begin over.
May no fate willfully misunderstand me
and half grant what I wish and snatch me away
not to return... I don't know where it's likely to go better.

-Robert Frost

I wonder where people get the idea that running away makes things better. Even in childhood, simply neglecting problems only resulted in more conflict. In adulthood, neglecting problems can potentially result in extreme financial debt or, say, cancer. It seems odd that when something unfavorable happens, my first reaction is still "if only I could just get away from it." Just sleep for a long time, and wake up, and everything will be better. You'd think even my subconscious would learn by now that things don't work that way.

I wonder if that's one of the main sources of procrastination. That ever-guaranteed-to-be-in-vain hope that some miraculous event will prevent the source of dread from occurring. Closely akin to denial, I would assume.

3 things I'd like to temporarily run from: Tech, school, routine.
3 things I'd like to eliminate completely: Finals, grades, Fox Valley Music Festival.
3 things I'm looking forward to: Prom, climbing trip, summer
3 people who should be more appreciated: Katie, Jeramiah, Kyle Q
3 things I need right now: Time, money, sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment