Tuesday, November 30, 2004

And there was a distant music, simple and somehow sublime

As much as I'm looking forward to winter break and Christmas, as much as I love classical and traditional music, and as much as I enjoy WLIT, I've decided there are few things more obnoxious and offensive to my sense of sanity than sitting for hours painting a sign in a linoleum tiled hallway, being forced to listen to variations on the same five Christmas carols played over and over and over...

Something else that's slightly obnoxious: Have you ever noticed that most people have a very hard time just accepting the fact that other people have opinions different than theirs? That seems like an obvious statement, but we've all had those conversations where someone continues to insist that he's right on a completely subjective topic. The kind of people who are offended by the idea that other people may rationalize things differently. By all means, it's fine to discuss, debate, and argue, as I can attest since I love to do so, but there's a point at which both parties are probably going to have to agree to disagree, unless one of the persuaders is one hell of a rhetorician.

Incidentally, I've also decided that calling other people hypocrites is 88% of the time unfair, especially when, in criticizing or satirizing social flaws, the person doesn't exclude himself.

Other notes:

- Tomorrow's my birthday. Woo!

- Giving blood isn't that bad.

- I've updated my picture site with some Ragtime pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment