Today I was sitting at a table during my option period with a friend, eating my apple and wondering if I had French homework, when a cluster of bubbly girls seated themselves right next to us. The apparent leader of the group (as she was the only one doing any talking and sat in the center of the pack) immediately engrossed herself in a dramatic tale about her battle with the dreaded Mean Teacher and How Dare She Interrupt My Classroom Conversations With Education, while all her friends made consoling noises and passionately agreed that she'd been inexcusably wronged. Then their conversation turned to more important things. Like her purse of an incredibly expensive brand name that I can't remember.
My instant reaction to that situation being 6 inches away from me was amusement and a not entirely successful attempt to refrain from mocking them in my head. But then it occurred to me that in their minds, they weren't being shallow and that was something that was significant to them and worth discussing. I remember a girl at my church who was really torn up because she was having large disagreements with many of her friends... over the distribution of towels at beauty school. To me, that just sounded silly, but to her, it was upsetting.
In short: Remind me to not be so quick to judge others. They're just as relevant in their minds as I am in mine.
I think if I could have one supernatural-esque power, it'd be to be able to remove people from themselves, somewhat, and let them see themselves from a third party perspective. I think that would be terribly enlightening. You could find out if you're more or less stoic, personable, sarcastic, or entertaining as you are in your head.
Then again, I'm not sure if I want to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment