Have you ever had that feeling where there just isn't anything original to say? And that every observation and thought on pretty much any subject, ranging from humanity to irony, has already been over-exhausted to the point where your reiterating of the topic would be superfluous? That's what's been keeping me from writing an entry these last few days.
However, I have come to the following conclusion: All people who enjoy music should enjoy good literature.
Now, when I say enjoy music, I mean enjoyment for a fairly specific reason. I mean the thousands of people who can listen to one song and ALL think "yeah. That's exactly how I feel." The people who partially appreciate music because it, in some way, makes them feel like the musician was able to communicate an idea that they had inside them, but were never able to portray for themselves.
I believe that anyone who enjoys music for those reasons should be capable of having the same affinity for literature. I'm not talking Harry Potter. I was given the definition the other day that true, quality literature must make some form of point or observation about the human condition, and state it in a manner that is more eloquent, clear, or profound than it has ever been said before. Good pieces of written work, like music, will speak to your basic sense of humanity in a way that is relatable to millions but is at the same time infinitely personal. It really is incredible.
"It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." -The Great Gatsby
"There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired." -The Great Gatsby
"I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why." -The Perks of Being a Wallflower
"Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer." -House of Leaves
"Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway." -Catcher In The Rye
No comments:
Post a Comment