Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter is the demonstration of God that life is essentially spiritual and timeless

Happy Easter. For some reason today I'm kind of having a hard time focusing on God and church and the like, but considering I spent all of last weekend on that, and got something fairly substantial out of it, I like to think that I just celebrated a week early.

Incidentally, today also means I can eat sugary food again. I already have an apple pie and Cadbury Egg lined up. Cookie dough might also be on the agenda.

You know, I've said for a while now that a goal in my life is that I want to regret nothing, and I've just recently realized what a huge lie that is. For one thing, it's wrong to not want to regret things. If you don't regret anything, it's for one of two reasons: you live your life perfectly and have nothing to regret (a lofty and impossible, though admirable goal) or you simply don't want to take back the things you've screwed up. The latter, while sometimes understandable in the light of "if I did anything differently it'd change who I am today," isn't reasonable. Who can honestly say that they don't wish to take back something they said or did to hurt someone else's feelings? I say things I regret all the time.

Of course, regretting minor things is different than regretting major things. And by major I mean things that are significant enough to still regret after six months. But even that proves my former mantra as a total lie. There's one thing that I can think of that I still regret months later, even considering how I justified myself at the time, how I've apologized later on, the fact that all parties have since pretty much gotten over it, and how there's nothing much else I can do about it now.

Linda's Easters of the Past:

1991: Start tradition of colored eggs at both parents' houses. Double the eggs and candy.

1995: Began an awesome Easter tradition with my stepfamily which entailed lining all downstairs flat pieces of furniture with candy.

1996: Verified once and for all with my dad that the Easter bunny was not, indeed, real.

1997: Forgot an egg at my mom's Easter hunt. Funny smell later explained.

1999: Egg hunting ceases.

2004: First time working on Easter. No one came to the restaurant and I went home early.

No comments:

Post a Comment