Saturday, May 21, 2005

So this is how liberty dies - to thunderous applause

I saw Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (I had to look up the appropriate punctuation. Colon, then hyphen) tonight. Despite some rocky dialogue and some other minor qualms I enjoyed it. I believe the concluding theme was that love makes you do some freakin' stupid things.

Actually, I guess it makes sense that they had it that way. If the only reason Anakin joined the dark side was to wield supreme power he wouldn't have much internal turmoil nor gain much sympathy from the audience. Basing unwise decisions off a deep infatuation is at least relatable, and I imagine that kind of emotional familiarity helps make the audience not hate Anakin completely. One dimensional, power-driven motive would make for a much less interesting movie.

Though it might have prevented that inane, overdramatic "NOOOOO!" at the end.

I think it's interesting how the Star Wars films have developed societally over the last 30 years or so. In that limbo time between when the old 4-6 movies were out and before the new 1-3 ones were announced, Star Wars was a relatively nerdy thing to be a fan of, I believe. Though most people at the moment probably still wouldn't be caught dead at a convention, with the onset of the new movies the series became a pretty popular, even trendy, thing to be excited over. There were an awful lot of people claiming utter undying devotion to George Lucas this week. I guess you could blame it partially on the fact that Star Wars is marketed by pretty much every brand on the face of the earth, and perhaps, if you believe in that sort of thing and considering the content of the films, intergalactically.

When nerdy things become cool. See also: Lord of the Rings. I think this was even more of an explosion of fans due to the fact that books generally don't attract nearly so wide an initial fan base as movies do. I imagine the die-hard, convention attending fans get a little indignant when this sort of thing happens.

End of class count: 8 days

No comments:

Post a Comment