Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Hope you remember me when you're homesick and need a change

Another entry?!?

After being technically "on my own" in my house (barring the presence of my sister) for a majority of the summer, I've noticed that besides the obvious absence of certain maternal family members, there's really only one noteworthy difference in lifestyle: I suddenly have to pay for crap that's always been supplied to me freely before. Like cereal. And band aids. And napkins. I'm used to only paying for personal things that will be around indefinitely (clothes, CDs, etc), so spending money on previously free things that will only be used up/consumed feels like throwing my money away.

So, I feel like I highly underestimate my inclination to procrastinate. Whenever I have a deadline, I always remember the fact that I have an innate ability to get things done moderately well and on time, so I tend to believe that no matter how many days I continue to put assignments off, it'll be okay, because it always works out in the end. Unfortunately, I also consistently seem to block out the fact that before I get things done, there is a period of time filled with gut-clenching worry and frenzied activity that finally gets me to where I need to be. I'm getting dangerously close to the clenched gut part right now. I have a feeling that if I follow the same pattern for completing college applications, my waves of cold apprehension might become a certifiable medical disorder.

I also have a feeling that when school comes around, I'm no longer going to be able to be employed at the magical land of Build A Bear. I know there are people out there who balance 15 classes, 8 extracurriculars, volunteer work, a job, and somehow find the time to paint their toenails, but I am not one of them. For one thing, I enjoy sanity. For another thing, I'm not a robot (perhaps contrary to popular belief).

To Do:

- Read Ceremony

- Finish 1-2 painting(s)

- Complete AP Calc math packet

- Shovel the rest of the mulch pile

- Start college essay writing

- Savor the rest of the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment