Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I want to know how it feels to be useful and pertinent and have common sense

Well, I visited Northwestern today. Overall, it struck me as the Neuqua of colleges: Big, expensive, tons of activities, a trendy but ambitious population, and surrounded by a pleasant and severely groomed suburb. I think that may be why I liked it so much; it reminds me of home but on a larger scale.

Of course, the price for that good old fashioned homey feeling is about $40,000 and a 7/8 probability of rejection. But hey, I could always sell a kidney to cover the former and my soul for the latter.

So, not that I usually equate myself to Greek literature, but I think if I had to name one personal characteristic that would eventually bring about my downfall (aside from curiosity), it would be, a la tragic heroes, pride. And not the vain, "I'm freaking awesome" kind of pride. More like the kind of pride you didn't even know really existed until things like being underestimated or written off occur to suddenly make it painfully obvious. I can't stand (hate, even) the idea of being fooled, and I'll go to absurd lengths to make sure that people don't feel like they have some sort of edge over me. It's silly, for the most part.

I decided that if I personally had boundless wealth, besides being a lot less concerned about college, the most prominent change that would occur in my life would be my wardrobe. Things that wouldn't change include my zeal for Taco Bell, Theo as my transportation, and my utter loathing for designer purses.

Fun fact: I've had the screen name Linsnoopy for, I believe, about 8 years now. I find it amusing that despite that I created the name on a whim (I remember resorting to it after discovering "Snoopy8" and "PeanutsGang" were already taken on AOL) and that I've finally admitted to myself that I, in fact, enjoy Calvin and Hobbes more than Peanuts, I'm probably going to cling to this internet identity indefinitely.

Jenny: Maybe.

Me: Hopefully.

Jenny: i'd make some jaded comment about hope, but i'm all out

Me: You're too suburban to be jaded

No comments:

Post a Comment