So, I'm not very old. I'm about 20% or less done with my life, depending on modern science. I was born late enough in the 1980's that I can't really claim to relate to MTV's "I Love the 80's" without some serious lying. That being said, I think it's ridiculous that I already feel like one of those old people who complain about how kids today are too "soft."
I feel somewhat offended by how much cushioning goes into the average child raising process right now. I also feel like somewhat of a jerk for thinking that. But honestly, I can't help but look at super sanitized kitchens, "training toothpaste," and air conditioned strollers and think that I grew up (tumor free, I might add) with blunted Fisker scissors and impossible to open medicine bottles being the only specifically child-proofed things I can recall. I'm not sure when or how long it took me to learn how to use the toilet, but I'm pretty sure I did it without the benefit of "pull ups." And I don't think many of my toys were PhD approved to enhance my mental capabilities.
Not that Cathi and I roughed it or anything. I'm sure my parents used their share of then-modern child technology, and I blame the lack of preventive measures in my household on the fact that my mom had an arm around us most of the time. I also acknowledge (though have opinions about) the fact that some parents don't have time to, you know, watch their kids all the time and let sweet, sweet technology do the work. My issue, actually, is mostly with all the cleaning/medical measures that prevent your child from coming into contact with anything besides pure, filtered oxygen and hydrogen. I'm a believer in the idea that being exposed to a little dirt now and then beefs up your immune system and being a medical bubble only makes you susceptible to every disease imaginable if you're ever fortunate enough to break out of it.
And I'm still under 20. Imagine what my thoughts on the matter are going to be when I'm 40. My poor unborn children.
Anyway.
Speaking of kids, I've decided, as predicted, to quit Build-A-Bear due to my various other more enjoyable and therefore more important commitments. Which is a bit of a shame, since my 90 day "performance evaluation" today apparently concluded that I am, in fact, an effective bearmaker.
Yay to fun classes, productive teching, Munchkins, and sharks. Boo to brand new teachers, stereotypes, one 'o clock lunch, and seven hour shifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment