Saturday, December 31, 2005

What I didn't tell you is I didn't mean it

I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts.

So, every time I hear a song that I know (which happens pretty often), as I listen to the lyrics I try to connect them in my head to me, or my friends, or experiences I've had in the past. I know I'm not the only one who does this, because if I was, posting song lyrics in profiles wouldn't be such a hit with the teenagers (apparently a lot of people's shadows are the only ones who walk beside them). While the whole "relate everything to me" thing is totally natural, I think if I was a songwriter I would be a little uncomfortable with the idea. I could just imagine me writing an extremely personal though somewhat ambiguous ballad about having to throw away my favorite pair of shoes and having it misinterpreted and becoming the number one breakup song for preadolescents.

No comments:

Post a Comment