Friday, June 16, 2006

You told me that, too

I've never really liked history. I recognize the necessity for other people to like history, but seeing as I'm not planning on running for president any time soon, I'd rather avoid those classes. For one thing, history classes have always involved abundant amounts of textbook reading, which isn't necessarily excruciating, but it is when books are typically formatted in a coma-inducing "And then... And then... And then" fashion. Secondly, I subscribe to the "history repeats itself" theory, which inherently makes the subject repetitive. Thirdly, I'd rather let someone else dwell on the past.

I'm well aware that all of these are potentially stupid and arguable points, so I recently thought of a fourth and, I think, largely more substantial reason.

Most of conventional history is defined by conflict. The classes I take are almost exclusively concerned with who was forming their country, or who was gaining (or losing) their independence, or who was conquering Poland. Some attention is, granted, given to culture, but by and large "history" is all about people disagreeing with other people. There is a whole world of history that is completely neglected when there's a narrow-minded focus on who happened to be holding a gun at the time. History depresses me, because it's consistent evidence to support how slanted our priorities are.

What are you supposed to do with a high school diploma? The deluxe squishy cover thing seems to suggest I should display it on a table or other flat surface somewhere, but that seems a little out of place. Between a ceramic fish and a picture of me and Kim sticking out our tongues strikes me as an inappropriate position for a significant educational document.

Movies I Don't Want to See:
- Nacho Libre
- Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (How galactically clever!)
- The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift
- Mission: Impossible 3

No comments:

Post a Comment