Tuesday, June 27, 2006

If you're going to preach, for God's sake, preach with conviction

So, I saw Casablanca the other day, and for some reason I view that fact as disproportionately significant. I keep telling people proudly, as if, once I also get Gone With the Wind and Schindler's List under my belt, I'll be inducted into some cinematic literacy club in which members sit around, smoke cigars, and congratulate each other on the fact that they understood a reference to Rhett. I really shouldn't be surprised by the fact that my friends react to my news in the same manner as, say, an announcement that I painted my toenails a radical shade of purple.

Speaking of movies, remind me to never, ever counter a comment about a movie with a reference to the book from which it came - especially if the counter response is something like, "the book was much better," "here's a list of discrepancies from the book," "you should have read the book first," or "did I mention how superior I am for having read the book? Because I am. I read. You suck."

I think each person holds himself to a different standard (socially, morally, behaviorally, mentally) than he does anyone else, to some extent. He either gives himself miles more slack and as a result lowers his personal bar; or consciously, sometimes tenaciously, and occasionally arrogantly raises it based on personal goals or bias. Is it more unsettling to think that we don't hold people to the same standard as ourselves, or that some of us do? Is holding people to your loftier standard unfair to them? If so, is it only okay to apply your standard to others if your standard is on the lower half? Isn't that kind of insulting?

All I know is, the thought or memory of being underestimated is one of the few things that gives me that angry, bristly feeling. Other things on that list include being lied to, unnecessarily malicious attacks on my religion, and Cathi borrowing a piece of clothing that I just washed and intended to wear.

25 Days until Poland!
41 Days until Glen Lake!
51 Days until college!

No comments:

Post a Comment