Sunday, June 26, 2005

Legs to make us longer

So, my zeal for the internet (combined with a rabid sense of curiosity which I'm sure will one day brutally kill me) occasionally brings me to other blog sites. Most popular right now seems to be xangas, which were the inspiration for both my "providing 'artist' as your occupation is stupid" rant and my "stating your mood after a blog entry is stupid" rant. There are some things I enjoy about that site, though, like the "blogrings" you can join that include groups like Stop Raping The English Language and I Love God, You Love God, Let's Hug.

I clicked on one I saw called Linguaphiles Amalgamate! because that sounded like something I'd join if I used that site, and disappointingly the entries I found through that "ring" were probably almost as mind-numbing as the ones that regularly use "u" as a pronoun, but in an exact opposite way. It seems like a weird thing for me to complain about, but I found their use of words like "suppositions," "afoot," "query," and "contradistinctive" for every other word really obnoxious. Words were created in order for people to express themselves clearly, accurately, and if possible, wittily, and I guarantee you that the word "pulchritudinous" will never, ever aid in clearly proving a point. There's a difference between using the English language appropriately and engulfing people in ridiculous vocabulary like a monkey with a mishandled blowtorch. I'm sure with a good thesaurus and dictionary, everyone anywhere could articulate their online desideratum with ubiquitous lexicon in order to apportion themselves from the feebleminded ignoramuses on the globe. But we don't. 'Cause it's irritating.

Point being, if my affection for English ever turns into that kind of pseudointellectual BS, I invite you, my adoring public, to hit me with the nearest available blunt object. Not in the face, though, my family spent a lot of money on dental care.

In other news, weather is hot, jobs are boring, little kids are hilarious, government is easy, movies are mediocre, and people are frustrating.

Top 5 things I spend my time on, by hourly calculation of an average weekday:

1. Sleep (5-6 hours)

2. Social/errands/other (4-5 hours)

3. Internet (4-5 hours)

4. Work (4-5 hours)

5. Government (4 hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment