I think it's an interesting contradiction that though essentially I'm a pretty serious person in the "I'd rather not run around acting like an idiot, thank you" sense, I don't really take anything too seriously.
Have you ever noticed that no matter what point in life a person is at, there always seems to be pressure on him to conform with some sort of personality/lifestyle stereotype? This is no surprise for teenagers, who have to sit through at least 892 peer pressure/"be yourself"/anti-cliques/"don't join a gang" tirades a year, but I think people overlook that this sort of pressure isn't limited to us wee folk. Here's what I think is a fair scope of stereotypical expectations for life:
Age 0-10: No expectation, besides being a nonsensical small child
Age 12-14: Awkward "I'm coming into my body" phases and a considerable amount of whining
Age 15-21: Perplexing phase of irrationality, dodging responsibility, fighting with adults, and a general lack of anything resembling a sense of self
Age 22-30: Instant acceptance of responsibility. Get married, get serious, get a job, probably not in that order
Age 31-45: Have growing kids and a minivan. You are no longer expected to be cool, and any attempts to be are usually laughable, but you should have a steady job and retirement plan.
Age 46-59: Mid-life crisis is acceptable, and if you make it past this stage without getting a divorce, you're probably set for good. Empty-nester/golf fettish/baby grandkid time
Age 60-75: Respectable stage. You're expected to have some wisdom, bad temper, and possibly war stories
76-95: Generally unrespectable stage. You're expected to drive slowly, have failing bodily functions, and not make a whole lot of sense
96+: Most people have probably wondered at some point or another just how long you're planning on living
Here's to easy finals, summer, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
No comments:
Post a Comment